My Child is Obese.
Do I Really Need to Go To A Doctor?
Why do you need help on this problem is a question that we often ask our self.
The answer lies in the reality that we have failed to recognize and treat the obesity in our children as the time has passed.
You need help to bring on a multi prong strategy to get a handle on this problem.
No one is better equipped to help you than the doctors who are expert in this?
WHO WILL TREAT YOUR CHILD? IS THERE A SPECIALIST INVOLVED?
A team of doctors treats your child which usually consist of
Paediatrician, psychologist, physician, dietician, Bariatric specialist, Endocrinologist.
What Should I Expect From My Doctor?
You should expect certain questions that your doctor may ask you.
- Why do you think your child has gained weight?
- What is a typical day for your child like?
- How much physical activity does he get to do?
- What is the child’s screen time in a day?
- Have you tried the treatment earlier?
- Who else is obese in your family?
- Is your child trying to lose weight?
- How motivated are you to start the treatment?
What Can/Should I ask My Doctor regarding the Obesity treatment?
- What kind of treatment options do you have?
- Are there any medications which can help?
- If so are there any serious side effects of the medicine?
- How long the treatment last?
- What diet modifications will be needed?
- What tests will be conducted?
- How much weight loss is expected in what time frame?
- What are the consequences if no treatment taken for obesity?
- What kind of follow up are you looking at?
This is not an exhaustive list of question, just few of them to help you better understand the task you are facing.
Consequences of Childhood Overweight
You are looking at the proverbial Pandora’s Box here,
- Depressive symptoms
- Poor Body Image
- Low Self-Concept
- Risk for Eating Disorders
- Behavior and Learning Problems
- Insulin Resistance
- Type 2 Diabetes
- High Cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood
- Sleep Apnea
- Early puberty
- Steatohepatitis (fatty infiltration and inflammation of the liver)